Living the Lost in Translation Life is Lost for Many Who Come to Japan

If you liked this film then that is great, because I am with you. I liked it too. But friends, Tokyo aint like this in real life

No it aint. And let me tell you why. If you listen to some of my podcasts you will see but let me explain it here.

Tokyo is full of a lot of people who come over with 10 dollars in their pocket and frankly are struggling to survive here as ALTs and English Teachers. They do not do very well.
Lost in Translation has characters with time, money and a taste for luxury much like me. See, when I first came to Japan there was gold in the streets and you could make money. I was lucky had the contacts and made money even before I cam here but did very well years and years ago and have been retired for some time.
Today? I see these kids coming over, staying practically on the street or with a friend if they are lucky, some of them live in Gaijin Houses where there are 10 people sharing 1 toilet and bathroom and kitchen and they are struggling! They can barely pay rent, and they work as teachers (but really are nothing more than clowns/babysitters/entertainment for the people they teach) and make very little money. We are talking about 1.5k-2k a month if they are lucky which will buy you nothing in Tokyo.

Bob and Charlotte types? Well I never really see them except people who come and visit for a few days, but not even at Charlotte's age, as they tend to be older to have the money to burn on hotel rooms like the Park Hyatt in Shinjuku. Of course, there are very few people like Bob. Only Brad Pitt or Arnie or someone of that fame is anything like Bob. Even Tommy Lee Jones didn't get paid as much as Bob for his Boss Coffee commercials. 

So before you come to Tokyo friends I have some words of advice. Save your money and come and live like the characters in this movie do. Spend when you are here but do not expect to earn or live the dream here. It happens to very few people and I would say about 1 in 10,000 actually get wealthy here in Japan these days. If you want to know why you can see the direct link here.

Any questions will be answered without a problem. Take care and enjoy Japan, just do it with some sense of who you are and money in your pocket, like the characters in this movie. Then you will have the real LIT experience which I can tell you personally is like no other. It is much like the movie, dreamy, bittersweet, strange and wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

tokyo is made up of experiences, memories and thoughts so please friends, leave yours here below...